I've been there.
I know what it's like.
I can help.
When I say I’ve been there, I mean it.
I've done the all-nighters, sometimes several days in a row. I was often the last one up. I've experienced blackouts, trauma, job losses, financial difficulties, brushes with the law, and I hurt many people. I hid, justified, and lied about my problematic drinking and cocaine use. I lived a double life with cover ups, irritability, anger, sadness, and depression.
I've been through a detox facility twice, drug and alcohol in-patient rehab twice. I’ve attended hundreds of support groups and many counselling and therapy sessions to get to where I am today.
I am a different person now.
Michael & His Team Today
Today, Michael Walsh is one of Canada's leading Recovery Coaches, Interventionists and Substance Use & Addiction Specialists.
- Michael is a Canadian Certified Recovery Coach (CCRC) through the Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF).
- Michael (and his team) help women and men change their relationship to drugs or alcohol with customized services, counselling, and clinical therapy, which you can browse below.
- In his role as Recovery Coach, Michael typically works 1-on-1 with his clients to help them stop drinking alcohol. He also works with families, private enterprise, treatment centres, and many other entities.
- Before launching his own company, Michael previously held many positions within the addictions recovery field in non-profit, public health, and private sectors.
- Michael has curated a strong and diverse team of Recovery Coaches, and as of July 2, 2022 are based in Duncan, Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, Kelowna, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax.
- Services are all provided virtually, to clients across Canada and around the world, with some in-person sessions depending on the city.
To learn more about how we’re impacting the lives of our clients and their loved ones, please visit our testimonials page.
Explore our selection of drug and alcohol recovery services, counselling, and clinical therapy below. If you’re someone who is being affected by a loved one's drug or alcohol use, our other site interventions.ca has further resources focused towards friends and family members or if looking for an alcohol interventionist. We can working with anyone in Canada and the USA and any country in the world.
Is Recovery Coaching Right For You?
As Recovery Coaches, we support you in achieving your goals, whether that involves cutting back, maintaining abstinence, or seeking formal treatment.
Our relationship is built on open and honest exploration, and is beneficial to people at all stages:
- You are sober curious
- You want to cut down your drinking or take a break
- You're participating in addiction counselling and want to add a Recovery Coach
- You've worked with addiction counsellors before and now want to try Recovery Coaching
- You want to get back on track after a relapse or slip
- You want to explore alternatives to AA and 12-step programs
- You’ve stopped many times, but can’t seem to stay stopped
- You want to prioritize recovery, but life is busy and it’s hard to find time
- You want to explore the reasons why you drink / use in the first place
- You recently completed an addiction treatment centre or rehab program
- You recently got out of detox
- You’ve recently completed a formal treatment program and want it to stick
- You don’t feel things are bad enough for formal treatment, but you want to change
- You’re not sure if you have a problem with drugs and/or alcohol in the first place
You’re in the right spot, and we’d love to help.
Together, we'll help you explore your relationship to alcohol and work toward cutting back, taking a break, or quitting alcohol altogether.
Looking to Help a Loved One?
The addiction of a loved one brings up many difficult questions and scenarios that may leave you feeling like you’re stuck on a never-ending emotional rollercoaster.
Our partner business, run by Michael Walsh and his team of passionate recovery professionals, offers support specifically for family members.
Through Interventions.ca, we provide invitational drug and alcohol interventions and family counseling sessions. These services are geared specifically at those with a loved one who is struggling with alcohol or substance use.
Powerful Addiction Resources
Sober Coaching FAQs
Where and how frequently do we meet?
- A plan is customized for your situation, so the specifics of how often we meet vary depending on your needs.
- Currently all of our work is virtual.
- Online Recovery Coaching is just as effective as in-person work, enabling you to develop the necessary rapport and trust with your Sober Coach in order to create dynamic outcomes.
- Doing the work digitally means we can connect with anyone in any location. We currently work with clients in Canada, the USA, Europe and SE Asia. However, we recognize you may need in-person contact.
- Frequency of sessions depends on your needs:
- Some clients start with weekly 60-minute sessions for the first 4-6 weeks, and then taper frequency and duration to bi-weekly with 30-minute sessions.
- For those who need more contact and structure we engage 30-minute sessions twice-weekly for the first month.
- We are flexible to your needs, and will work to develop a plan that fits your schedule.
- Some clients use our services for 3 to 6 months, others 6 to 12 months, and some stay with us for two or more years.
Will my benefit plan cover the cost of Recovery Coaching?
- Recovery Coaching is not typically covered by extended healthcare plans.
- Some benefit providers have and do provide coverage for our clients. It depends on the Insurance Provider, the Benefits Advisor, and whether the advisor sees value in adding a Recovery Coach. I would be happy to discuss an approach that could work in getting your insurance provider to cover us.
- However, we are unable to directly bill insurers of any kind.
- Recovery Coaching in Canada is currently in the process of becoming more organized with credentialing, supervision, and an oversight body. We hope to see an increase in insurance plans that provide coverage for our profession as the process moves forward.
Are Sober Coaches worth the cost?
- If you’re regularly saying yes to alcohol or drugs, what are you saying no to? What costs – both literal and figurative – are you already incurring by saying yes?
- Coaching sessions are always about more than drugs and alcohol. Often once you’re working with a Sober Coach and in a stable state of recovery, leaps previously thought to be impossible, like changing careers or going back to school, become realistic goals.
- With a Sober Coach, you dig deeper to find out what makes you tick. Together, you leverage that as motivation to help you stay sober while exploring your dreams, values, and what it looks like to live with greater meaning, intention, and joy.
- Substance and alcohol misuse often impacts those around us, and Sober Coaches consider the entire family in their work. There are opportunities for your Sober Coach to speak with loved ones who have been impacted by your substance use to help facilitate understanding and healing.
- The peace that is restored when a Sober Coach enters the picture is quite profound for many individuals and their families. What price can you place on peace within yourself and your household?