Recovery Coach, CCRC | Interventionist | Family Coach & Consultant
From the outside it looked like I was on top of the world: big cities, great jobs, and good friends. I was living life in the fast lane.
In reality, however, I was living a double life – and the glamour wore off eventually.
My life was a mess and it was only a matter of time before the bottom would fall out. Chasing successful careers fuelled by high-octane drug and alcohol use, I was eventually faced with a choice: sober up enough to have my next drink and line of cocaine and continue the path of self-destruction, or get sober, seize life, and reinvent.
That was the old Michael.
Now, I provide customized substance use and addiction services to those who are ready to get more out of life.
Michael’s extended story can be found here.
My services include:
Who I work with
I work with individuals, families, employers, in-patient treatment centres, disability and occupational health providers, insurance companies, government agencies, and small-to-medium-size enterprises.
I'm fortunate to live on one of the most beautiful islands in the world: Vancouver Island — in Victoria British Columbia, Canada. My work puts me in contact with local clients here on Vancouver Island, as well as those located across Canada and several countries around the world.
I work with clients either in-person depending on the city, video-conference (FaceTime or Zoom), telephone, text, and email.
My background as a substance use and addictions specialist
I am both qualified and experienced.
Before starting this business I worked in non-profit with the Victoria Cool Aid Society — a first job in this field that I really loved. I also worked in public health with Island Health in Victoria working in multiple substance use and addiction units including the the Sobering Centre, Community Medical Detox, Stabilization, The Grove Men's Sober Living Residence and ran hundreds of psycho-educational support groups.
- I am a Certified Recovery Coach trained through Still Here Recovery Coach Training in White Rock BC & Crossroads Recovery Coaching Training in the USA.
- I am a CCRC (Canadian Certified Recovery Coach) through the Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF.)
- I’m a candidate to become a Certified Interventionist Professional through the Pennsylvania Certification Board
- I have been trained by some of the best in the field, including Board-certified American Interventionist Brad Lamm (through his company Change, Inc. and the training I most align with); Board-certified American Interventionist Patricia Pike; and Board-certified American Interventionist Earl Hightower (through his company Hightower and Associates)
- I am an associate of Bob Marier of Hired Sobriety, and he supervises certain interventions I conduct in Canada
- I continue to be involved with Still Here Recovery Coach Training in White Rock BC as a facilitator at their five day intensive trainings. I present on the last day The Business of Recovery Coaching where I share how I got started as a Recovery Coach and also have the participants do a One Page Business Plan and Personal SWOT Analysis which always engages and inspires the group for what's possible after the training.
- I am a Managing Partner in Home Based Recovery Canada, Inc — a 30-day online hybrid treatment program that combines a clinical and recovery coaching model delivered by a well-known multi-disciplinary team that include psychologists, recovery coaches, counsellors, and addiction medicine physicians.
I also have personal lived experience with substance use, addiction – and successful recovery. My personal recovery work has shaped how I show up for clients I work with — I'm very open-minded with how people choose to change this part of their lives.
In my work as a substance use and addictions specialist I have worked with hundreds of clients in various stages of change and recovery.
To get started, all you have to do is get in touch.
I've been there. I know what it's like. I can help.
Other Coaches & Associates
Recovery Coach, CCRC, RCP | Facilitator | Mentor Coach
Recovery Coach, CCRC
Associate Recovery Coach
Recovery Coach | Interventionist | Family Coach & Consultant
Recovery Coach, CCRC | RCP-F Facilitator | Mentor Coach
Family Coach using CRAFT Model of Addiction | Registered Therapeutic Counsellor
Dr. Michael Berry
R. Psych | Clinical Advisor